Thursday, August 26, 2010

What?!? I'm not ready for sea vegetables and knitting in the round??

Or, what I did (or rather didn't) do on my summer vacation.

I was suppose to go home to Springfield for at least a few of my vacation days, but my car had other plans. I guess you don't always get what you want, but you usually get what you need. And, all things considered, a relaxing stay-cation was just what I needed. My car is fine (thanks to the warranty) and they even fixed my side air bags that Jeff discounted when he put in my radio. It was truly fabulous to just take time off for me- no school (for the first time in about 2 1/2 years!), no work and no alarm clock! FABULOUS!

So, I decided to take some time to try to further my health kick and improve my knitting skills with my lovely, unplanned time away from society. I picked some funky new recipes and we headed to the health food store. I should have know I was being a little overly ambitious when half of what we bought was sea vegetables, but I'm kind of a "go big or go home" kind of a girls so back to our kitchen I went. Now, I know that sea vegetables are totally fabulous for me and both vegan cookbooks I have recommended soup for breakfast as "a great way to start your day off right," but.... soup with seaweed? ... for breakfast?? I must admit, I wasn't entirely sold on the idea. But, being the good health nut girl I want to become, I gave it a go. It was HORRIBLE!!! All I could think about staring into that bowl was the hours I'd spent playing in the ocean. UGH! Experiment failed.

Then, I decided that I MUST be ready after 2 scarfs to knit in the round and make socks... Right? That must make sense... right? Well, I've cast on about 10x with no avail. With only 2 hands how can anybody be expected to knit with 4 needles? Madness!! Maybe I need to find a knitting Yoda to show me the way of the needles.

What did I learn on my summer vacation? Baby steps!

Now, I must prepare for a great night of knitting and football... GO PATS!

3 comments:

Roller Coaster said...

Keep trying on the health food kick! You've got me inspired and I'm already losing weight (ok, 3 lbs) in 2 weeks! :) Thank you!!!

Knitting Yoda? Time for another trip to Shrewsbury...

Glad you enjoyed your stay-cation and that Vera is all better now :)

Crafty Mama said...

Ok.....soup for breakfast sounds terrifically horrible. And there can't be any way that even looking at seaweed that early in the morning can be good for you. Don't even get me started on the idea of coffee and seaweed together, Lady!

I hate to tell you.....but I don't know how to use DPN's yet. I tried last night at knitting to start some fingerless mitts for a bday present for Kim. Yeah.......dpn's is kind of like knitting drunk. Which I suspect is NOT as fun as it sounds!!! :P

And Donna, Thanks! I will now answer to Yoda.

Moe said...

Ginny, you are my knitting Obe Won. We need a knitting Yoda to show us the way of the DPN and cables and all those really hard things. Let's just hope we can find a Yoda who doesn't talk backwards!